Thursday, October 22, 2009

Article: "Bringing Safe Water to the World"

http://www.nrdc.org/international/safewater.asp

Some stand out statements from the Article:

2 million children are killed by such diarrhea diseases each year, and 90 percent of them are kids under five

One billion people around the world don't have access to clean, safe water

U.N. estimates that if the proportion of people without access to safe water and basic sanitation were halved, countries around the world would save $7.3 billion per year in health care costs, and the annual global value of adult working days gained because of less illness would be almost $750 million

The number of people without safe water is increasing

Over the last few months of my class, I have learned about some of these statistics. They really disgust me. The reason I choose clean water as my topic is that I think the rising water crisis will be the most painful and inhumane situation that our race will have to deal with. An image that always has stuck in my head since I saw it was a picture of the earth without its, for the most part especially if not desalinated, unusable water (ocean water, salt water, etc.) - our planet resembled Mars. This was an eye opener. And to think that we continue to severely pollute and waste the very little water we have! This is evil.

Changes must be made. Global awareness is a key step, and this is why I felt I needed to do my part and choose water as my topic. Making safe water available to the world is necessary, and it will be a huge step in the advancement of the human race.

I personally, after hearing these facts and learning more in depth about the water crisis - which I encourage anyone who is unaware of the issue to mimic, looked at the EPA's website and found a page in which things I could personally do to do my part in avoiding a water crisis are listed. Here is that URL:

http://www.epa.gov/watersense/water/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment