Saturday, October 24, 2009

One in 6.7 BILLION (and growing)

I am human, so inevitably I have fallen as a victim to laziness. It is undeniable that I have my living green flaws, many flaws at that. Yet, even though I am at guilt of at times taking long showers, I am trying to make a difference by changing things that I do that are not environmentally friendly. To be honest, I would not have made any changes to my ways if I had not been educated and taken my AP environmental science course.

This feeling of being so small and insignificant is awful, TERRIBLE! But, it is not the population's fault because they really do not understand what their waste and laziness does to the planet. Yes, they are told and they have an idea, but do they understand to a point where there is an emotional or some kind of response that will get each person to go out of their way and recycle that can of pop rather than toss it in the convenient trash bin? At large, not at all. It is natural for people to feel small and insignificant. They do not know their impact, and "The Tragedy of the Commons" is not a widely understood concept.

I hope that if anyone out there reads this posting that was just like me, unknowing, possibly ignorant, and by no fault of your own uneducated on such a matter that you take just a few moments to try and understand that every person makes a difference. Every one in the 6.7 billion people on the planet matters. And if everyone thought that they were insignificant, which often happens, that our world will be trashed - it is a sad reality.

Here is a link to the Tragedy of the Commons, it heavily applies to water in that water is seen as a huge and nondegradable resource while in truth it is precious and the earth only has a paltry amount compared to what people think it has.

http://dieoff.org/page95.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment